Background

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Disease Unease? Nay, Positive Potential!

Oh dear. Oh my. Oh gosh. What I thought was B.E.R. might be a disease. A bacterial disease no less. Not just something that I can fix by watering appropriately or consistently. But something that could have been part of the plant when I bought it and can't be cured. Holy geez. I might have to get rid of 1 or more plants in its/their entirety, forsaking all yummy-looking, pride inducing fruits. The level of garden related stress is at an all time high.  I will come back to the diagnosis results at a later date when I have confirmed my mater malfunction. For now, I will forego the diseased photos. Let's focus on the positive. 


Woosah.


What do we have to talk about that's positive? Setting aside potential ugly, horrible, disappointing and evil bacterial diseases, I do have a reddening tomato!  The cherry tomato plant, the least likely to be diseased and the most productive plant of anything in the garden, has 1 definitely blushing beauty. What a sight! Let's bask in this fact over 2 photos. It's so satisfying to see!



Another point of pride is strawberries! Of the 26 fruits that I counted recently, several are looking mighty juicy and full of uber deliciousness. They still need to grow, but their bright red color is a beautiful thing. Look at them glisten!





I also have my fantastic basil and chive plants. The basil I will soon use to make a fresh pesto sauce using Mom's recipe. That will get posted soon too.  The peppers are doing just fine. Nothing turning red yet but they do look healthy, as long as they aren't getting chopped off by stupid chipmunks or other pesky rodents. 


So my largest and most common crop (I realize I'm not on a farm or even a yard, or, well, land. However, I like the sound of the word crop, so just go with it.) is causing the biggest problems and may not produce what would have been the most prized epicurean delight. I will readjust my expectations and focus on what I CAN produce. It's all about staying positive, right?  


Nevertheless, I would appreciate all crossed fingers and well wishes for my darling crop. The garden production potential is still high, it's just different than what it was. 


Despite all of the challenges I have had in what should have been an easy summer of container gardening, I am having a great time doing it, learning about it and seeing the results. So much so that I am planning for a fall/winter garden and next summer's yield. The blog continues!

1 comment:

  1. I am TOOO exciting. LOVE the strawberries!!! Let's see, disease - fact of life. Happens. But juice strawberries - even one -- that's something to celebrate. A tomato (spelled without an "e" not that you did, but others might and did) any tomato -- WONDERFUL! Peppers! Pesto made from YOUR freshly grown basil. And, now you are planning for a Fall garden. AHHHH You are my hero!!!

    ReplyDelete