Background

Monday, June 28, 2010

Peace, Lily

According to one website, orange lilies are supposed to symbolize passion. Hmmmm. I think I'm in trouble. This could be the shortest blog and/or marriage in history. 


My lily plant has already wilted almost completely (perhaps I shouldn't have emptied my glass of pinot into the pot). There are new blooms on it so I am hopeful, but it is so disheartening! More googling teaches me that lily blossoms do not last very long. They can last for a few days or if you treat them really well (which I'm sure I'm not), then they can last between 2-3 weeks at most. I bought it in full bloom so maybe lasting 3 whole days in pretty gruesome heat isn't so bad?  New blooms are reason to hope. Let's keep hope alive!


If anyone has any tips on keeping a healthy lily plant I would be grateful. Please help! (No, I'm not switching to merlot)


STILL UPRIGHT BUT DROOPY

BUCK UP LILY!

FALLEN SOLDIERS

OUT WITH THE OLD, IN WITH THE NEW?

2 comments:

  1. So I bought an Asiatic Lily once and it basically did as you were describing. Wilted super quick and just didn't last very long. Needless to say, I didn't purchase another one ever again. Sorry I wasn't any help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay, I've never grown lilies in pots but they are perennial (grow back every year) - they will go dormant, but the roots/rhizomes grow more plants next time - we had a bunch in front of our house in Williamsburg - they seemed fine as long as they got lots of sun, but you're right, they don't last that long. Good luck! Beth :)

    ReplyDelete